Sunday, February 18, 2018

Review: In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

23346377In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware

In a dark, dark wood

Nora hasn't seen Clare for ten years. Not since Nora walked out of school one day and never went back.

There was a dark, dark house

Until, out of the blue, an invitation to Clare’s hen do arrives. Is this a chance for Nora to finally put her past behind her?

And in the dark, dark house there was a dark, dark room

But something goes wrong. Very wrong.

And in the dark, dark room.... 

Some things can’t stay secret forever.
 




Format: Audiobook
Narrator: Imogen Church
Published By: Harvill Secker/Simon Schuster Audio
Genre: Adult - Mystery, Thriller

Rating:
✮✮✮

Review:
In a Dark, Dark Wood by Ruth Ware starts out with Nora traveling to a glass house hidden away in the English countryside for a former friend's hen do (which is essentially a bachelorette party if you are unfamiliar with the term), when things take a deadly turn, and Nora wakes up in a hospital with no memory of what had happened.

The book is told in alternating views of after she has woken up in the hospital, and the weekend of the hen do, which I absolutely loved about this novel - I love getting flashbacks while the character, Nora in this instance, struggles with recollecting what happened.

Things that prevented me from loving this book were the slow pacing and lack of action until the dangerous moments and then the pacing picks up, but it takes awhile to get to that point, the inability for me to connect with Nora (or any other character for that matter) in the story, the lingering questions that were never answered while reading the story, and the lack of surprising twists (there are two "major" things you find out in the story, and I was able to figure them both out before you find out in the story).

The ending I was fairly satisfied with, and I liked how the open ending was. And I definitely went for a happier route (granted depending on how you see it, the other route could be happier) with love prevailing - of course, I am using the term love incredibly loosely here and more futuristic than the story provides.

I would recommend this novel if you like suspenseful mysteries that are more slower paced than what I consider suspenseful novels to be like. And I look forward to reading more by Ruth Ware.

No comments:

Post a Comment